Sunday, September 22, 2013

Gateway Orientation & Arrival!

So there is going to be alot of information coming at you because I haven't been blogging, its been pretty hectic and I've been busy. I started a blog in D.C but never got to post it. So here it goes....

Two days ago, on September 3rd 2013 I entered the hotel where I began my journey as an AFS CBYX Youth Ambassador. Goodbyes were easy and hard sad but happy. If you asked me what I was feeling that day and from the other students I was talking to said the same thing, I had so many emotions that I didn't feel anything. I was happy sad excited nervous anxious enthusiastic joyful skeptical. So many emotions that they counter acted each other. (or so I believe) I walking in said bye to my family that came with me and checked in. Found the room where everyone else was at and started to talk to all of the other CBYXers that were here. We did some activities but had a busy day the next day.

Woke up at 6:30, earliest I've been up all summer. Went into D.C. to meet our congress representatives. I had Tim Murphy and he wasn't available so I met with a staffing person. We went to the US Department of State where we learned more about the programs and some people who work to make sure this program keeps happening. We had dinner at a German restaurant. It was lots of fun. Got back and I was so tired. So I went to bed after talking for a little while with other CB students.
And at the German restaurant....
Live music -- German style :)


The next day we had a long filled day after talk after talk sitting in one orientation room listening to seminars about what to expect what not to expect rules etc. at 5 the other AFS Germany students have all arrived. Not much I can really say, it wasn't exciting but it needed to be done.

The very next and final day in America we checked out of our hotel had a couple last orientations and we all loaded the buses for the airport!

This was my group from the orientations, and I must say it was the best. This was also our flight chaperon.

And then I boarded my first plane ever.... Flying over the Atlantic Ocean. The flight was 7 and 1/2 hours long and thankfully I can sleep no matter what the situation is. I slept for 6 hours while on the plane and it was an overnight one. We boarded the plane at 5:30 pm and landed in Frankfort at 7 am. While everyone was meeting with other AFSers from around the world coming in to the airport waiting to leave to board a train we waited until 1:30 until our train came to take us. I slept on the floor of the airport for a long time when I woke up it was time to get our luggage and get on the trains. We moved through three trains and it was hard with my luggage getting in and off fast because as we were warned at orientation.... Germany is a very precise place and everything has to be on time. Then we finally arrived to the train station of Celle! I was tired yet excited to meet my new family. My host mother and father greeted me with a sign and took my luggage off of me which was nice. I arrived to "our" home at 7:30-8pm. We had dinner and boy was I hungry!
I met my sister when we got home... She had went to a festival that morning. It was an overwhelming, busy, day that I will never forget.
That night Lisa (my host sister) took me to her friends house, it was pretty cool and I liked to just sit back and take it all in, I didn't speak an ounce of German when I arrived here. (and can't wait until I'm fluent) which I'm trying really hard at. 

The next morning I went to breakfast with my host mom, dad, sister, grandma, and grandpa, and MMMMMMMM do I love German waffles. It was so good! We got back and I took a nap from noon until 7pm when my host dad woke me up because it was time for dinner. Besides that I didn't really feel jet lag. That Monday started language camp/language school.


No comments:

Post a Comment