Thursday, April 25, 2013

About me

My name is Nola Ries, I am 18 years old and I recently found out that I have been awarded the Congress-Bundestag Youth Exchange (CBYX) Scholarship. So I've decided to blog about it. I'm very excited and have worked very hard for it. The application process included a medical exam, two teachers had to fill out surveys about me, six 250 word essays, a letter to your future host family, a passport, along with 8-12 pictures describing you. After that I sent in my application to AFS, later I was then emailed as a semi-finalist, I traveled to the University of Pittsburgh, and was interviewed. We sat in a room with people from AFS they talked about the program what to expect, during that time each applicant was taken into a different room where there was a panel of about five or six people they each went around and asked two questions, it was about 15 minutes, but what I suggest for future applicants, before you answer you question sit back and think about what they're asking, and what they want to learn from this question about you. Specific details help, even with your essays. After everyone was interviewed individually we were all taking back to do a group activity where we had to build a tower with a bunch of things but no one could talk, we used our hand motions and other things. They evaluated us during that time and after that it was over, it was about 3 hours long, but it went by quick. Then as more and more organizations where find out about their status of the scholarship, I waited until, Wednesday  April 17, 2013 I got a call in the morning saying that I had gotten a promotion from dietary aid to personal care assistant. After that I went to go prom dress shopping with a couple friends and at 9:30 pm I got another call saying that I had been awarded the CBYX scholarship. I started crying, I was so happy and couldn't wait to tell my parents. It was one of the best days in my life, and also one that will forever change my life. I couldn't be more thankful for all of the support that my family and friends gave me, along with all of the help during the application process. I had to attend a conference call on Monday night where they talked about what we should expect during the trip, and what aspects of it that should make us decided whether or not to accept the scholarship. I leave for Germany in early September 2013, (and I am counting down the days.) and don't return until July 2014. Its a really long time but I cannot wait to meet new people, experience new cultures, and how other people live. I know that I'm going to miss my family and friends but I know that they will all be here when I arrive home welcoming me. This experience will give me a chance to grow and find out who I really am. Now on Saturday I have a pre-departure orientation from 8-3 with all of the local AFS members that are going abroad not just CBYX winners.
Much love,
Nola

No comments:

Post a Comment